Saturday, February 9, 2008

To Do Away with Plastics! But What About Sippy Cups?

Recently, in the news there have been articles about the dangers of polycarbonate plastics, commonly used for children's sippy cups, bottles, etc. The chemical in question is called bisphenol A and supposedly affects the reproductive organs. We decided we really didn't need the medical community to confirm it for us. If it turns out bisphenol A is harmless, we would be no worse off if we threw away (recycled) our plasticware. But if it isn't...

Anyway, the girls were fighting over the plastic stuff we had, it was used, beaten up and took up way too much cupboard space. So, we eliminated it all. I already had a nice set of pyrex storage containers we liked and the older girls just started using the regular plates we used. I had some juice glasses that had roosters on them that was just the right size for them. I did go out and buy more pyrex storage dishes.

For kitchen utensils, we use mostly wooden spoons and spatulas. I also have some stainless steel laddles and spatulas.

That left Emma, still very prone (and fond of) throwing things onto the floor and proclaiming "Uh Oh!". Porcelain plates aren't really an option right now. So I found stainless steel food preparation bowls. The ones I found (at Wegmans) had a soft plastic lid, so they could be used for storage and transportation as well. I tend to wash the lids by hand. I also use our small wooden cutting boards as plates. Eric is going to try to make her some more. You could also go to a camping store and look for a few stainless steel plates.

That still left the problem that arises when she drinks. Glass wasn't an option for everyday use. At the table, she likes to drink out of a juice glass too, but I have to help her. I searched ebay and craigslists for vintage cups, hoping to find something in silver, pewter, stainless steel, etc. Finally, I found these THERMOS sippy cups. At Target, in the camping section. The reviews were mixed... they claimed that they leaked and the inserts were hard to clean. They are expensive.

I like them. They are more sanitary, they keep her Elecare (hypoallergenic formula) cooler and therefore less likely to harbor bacteria when we are out an about. The inserts are two pieced and you just need to take them apart to clean them. They leak a bit if you don't push the little nozzle in fully, mostly when you shake the formula. They are expensive, about $15 a piece and I bought two. But considering Emma seems to be sensitive to many things, I thought it a wise decision. $30 is cheaper than in vitro treatments 30 years from now when she wants to have a baby and can't. Again, that is probably an over reaction...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I'm Heather Eggars sister in law. She sent me your blog info. I wanted to let you know that Ikea carries some #5 plastic cups that do not have BPA's! They aren't sippy cups, but they are what my daughter has been drinking from since she was 10 months or so.. besides the stainless steel thermos foogo that we found at target.com months ago and absolutely LOVE!
Nice blog! Keep up the natural fight! :)