Monday, February 11, 2008

Rubber Boots and Pants


I have high energy kids... (I think had we had a calm child Eric might have had to question paternity), but towards the middle and end of winter we get some serious cabin fever. Last week, the only "warmer" days were rainy and wet. But we went outside at least 3-4 times each day to jump in puddles. And I realized that many kids here in the US don't have rubber pants. Talking with a few moms at the indoor playground (another life saver), I realized that some kids don't have rain boots either. Most do have snow boots, but not rain boots. So here is my plug for rain boots and pants.


I was born in Belgium, which despite being at the same lattitude as New Foundland, is much more temperate than the northeast US thanks to the Gulf Stream. So, it rains more, snows less. The climate is more similar to that of the middle atlantic states. Growing up we always had rubber boots and rubber pants. Playing in the rain is lots of fun. My kids love it and I love the fact that they don't ruin their clothes (or at least create another whole load of laundry each time they go outside- despite my new found love of soap nuts). Target sells cute rubber boots, so do LLBean and Landsend, both of these stores also sell the rubber pants from 2T and up, though only LL Bean sells the infant sizes.


The great thing is that they last forever and are easily passed down and around. All my girls have worn a pair of orange rubber boots that my mother had for my siblings and I. My mother still has rain pants at her house in case we forget ours or someone comes with a child, without snowpants.

No comments: